Tyson Properties, Inc.
The Truth About Cooking
photo courtesy of wax115
8 Facts About Cooking at Home
- Cooking causes more fires and injuries than any other at home activity.
- FEMA reports that during the years 2008 through 2010, residential cooking accounted for 45% of the home fires fire departments responded to.
- Leaving cooking food unwatched is the leading reason for cooking fires.
- Many cooking fires begin because kitchen towels, pot holders, and other flammable items are kept to close to the heat source during cooking.
- More than 50% of injuries occurring during cooking happen when people attempt to control or fight the fire themselves.
- The method of cooking most likely to cause a fire is frying.
- Children are more likely to injure themselves from non-fire related burns.
- Relative to the amount of cooking done, males have a disproportionate risk of cooking fire injury.
Data for this article was resourced from the FEMA website.