Property Management Blog
Don't Make This Tenant Mistake. It Will Cost You.
Tenants that don't take care of this necessity often lose part of their deposit.
We see it happen over and over. Tenants take great care of the home they're living in but they don't take care of the yard.
When you lease a single-family home, the care of the yard is the tenant's responsibility. Occasionally property owners will specify in the lease documents that a yard crew will come through on a regular basis to maintain the grounds. But, don't count on this because most property owners don't specify this option.
Here are some ways to keep up with the yard and landscaping during your tenancy:
- Remove debris, fallen leaves, and yard clippings throughout the year.
- Sweep walkways, patios, decks, and driveways on a regular basis. Washing them down every quarter with a hose and broom is a good way to lift away embedded dirt and moss that can grow on hard surfaces.
- Trim hedges or bushes when needed.
- Mow grass if applicable.
Before and during the vacating process, make sure you do this:
- Cleanup messes left by children or adults. That includes drawings on sidewalks, fences, and the facade of the home.
- Remove items you or visitors have brought on to the property. Don't leave broken tools, toys, or sporting equipment behind in the yard, inside the home, or in the garage. Haul all of it to the dump before you vacate.
- Check to make sure window and door screens are in place, mailboxes are operable, and storage areas are empty of your items.
When you don't follow through on your lease obligation, the property manager must take care of issues that you didn't address. That means you are charged for items you haven't tended to, and the cost is paid for out of your deposit money.
- property management
- best property management in Albuquerque
- Residential property management
- rental market trends
- investment property
- Real Estate Investing, Buying Real Estate, Selling Real Estate, Albuquerque Income Properties
- Property Maintenance Tips
- Applying For A Home
- Just for Tenants
- Property Management
- Real Estate, Albuquerque
- rental home preparation
- real estate investing, buying real estate, selling real estate, Albuquerque income properties
- Home Sales
- Property Repairs, Tenancy
- Albuquerque; Real Estate Albuquerque; Property Management Secrets
- Easy Home Cleaning Tips
- Rental Market Secrets
- Property Repairs
- Landlord Issues and Property Management
- Business Tips
- property management skills
- For the Kids
- New Mexico jobs
- When Do I Replace Exterior Items on an Albuquerque Rental Home?
- What Do I Do with My Parent’s Single-Family Home in Rio Rancho?
- Best Months to Put a Home on the Rental Market in Albuquerque
- Making Your Investment Last: Replace Items Inside Your Rio Rancho Rental Home
- How to Find Great Albuquerque Tenants for Your Home Rental